Earthwatch’s US office is located in Boston, MA. Position locations are determined by job responsibilities. This person should be located within commuting distance to our programs in Boston, MA; Springfield, MA; and Hartford, CT.
Hours: 40 hours per week. Schedule flexible, to be determined with manager
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt, Salaried
Department: Program Delivery
Reporting to: Director of Program Delivery (or Senior Program Manager)
Direct Reports: Impact Manager
Salary Grade: $53,303 - $63,345
For 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific research while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Each and every staff member genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another - and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting edge hands-on field science.
This position will design, deliver, and evaluate experiential learning and leadership programs which engage Earthwatch target audiences including corporate employees, community members, high school students, and teachers. These programs will inspire participants to engage with relevant sustainability/environmental issues, leading to behavior change at individual, organizational, or community levels.
The ideal candidate will combine experience in learning design with considerable knowledge of key sustainability issues including climate change, urbanization, air quality, biodiversity, and ecosystem services, as well as the social and economic drivers of these issues and their impacts. They will have an excellent understanding of frameworks for change, e.g. Sustainable Development Goals, circular economy, and facilitated experiential learning. They will be able to communicate complex information in pragmatic and engaging ways that ultimately empower people to take action and deliver change
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To design and deliver a range of consistent, high quality experiential learning curriculum that pair with Earthwatch’s citizen science based programs.
- Develop all supporting materials needed to implement curriculum (facilitator notes, PowerPoint slides, educational webpages, handouts, etc.)
- Understand target audience needs (ex. corporate employees, historically marginalized community members, high school students underrepresented in STEM careers, or teachers) and incorporate these needs into the learning design. Utilize a lens of equity and accessibility in the design of learning curriculum.
- Work closely with Program Managers to ensure continuous improvement of the learning curriculum in support of each program’s objectives and the Earthwatch mission.
- Train other Earthwatch staff to deliver learning sessions as required by each specific grant.
- Measure impact on program participants
- Work with Development team to develop pitch ideas and demonstrate program impacts to generate funding for the programs.
- Support the development of Earthwatch’s approach on how we effectively communicate critical sustainability issues to a diverse audience.
- To maintain a cohort of Earthwatch staff who are trained in the principles of Earthwatch learning and can be called upon to deliver learning when that capacity is needed.
- Line Management of Impact Manager and other employees as needed
- Travel is required for this position, as they will deliver learning sessions in 1-2 week periods at residential field-based locations and 1 day or evening sessions in urban locations. (In accordance with Earthwatch’s COVID-19 safety protocols.)
- Help to build excellence in Earthwatch’s capacity to develop and deliver high impact, integrated research & learning programs.
- Develop own and team’s capability, bringing in new thinking on innovative approaches to transformational learning and sustainability.
- Contribute to global learning community of practice by supporting the community to learn & grow professionally.
- Support Program Delivery team on other activities as assigned.
To learn more about the position, including required qualifications, company benefits, and instructions to apply, click here.